Whether your requirements are to join components and materials through an automated production line or you need an operator led assembly line, the team at Horizon can help you identify and specify your requirements and to also deliver solutions.
Horizon's consultancy service turns ideas into reality
Horizon Instruments represents Leister in the UK for Laser Plastic Welding systems. We are the UK's official dealer for their Laser Welding technology and, in addition to sales, we offer advice, expertise, design and prototyping services and consultancy using Leister technology.
The Laser Plastic Welding Systems bond thermoplastics using “laser transmission welding" or "through transmission IR welding (TTIr)", where one of the two plastics allows the laser to pass through (transmit the laser) to the other non-transmitting plastic. The non-transmitting plastic absorbs the laser energy and heats up the interface between both plastics, melting and joining the plastic parts which are in contact.
SAVE TIME and IMPROVE ACCURACY
We supply the full range of Leister machines briefly described below:
- Novolas TTS (Tabletop System) which uses an air-cooled diode laser with a working area of 100mm x 100mm. Used for prototyping or small-scale production.
- Novolas WS-AT, a manual workstation with a working area of 400mm x 300mm, suitable for manufacturing. Multiple specifications for the system include laser type, wavelength and power, coolant system, additional axis, controls interface, etc.
- Novolas WS-RTT has the same facilities as the WS-AT but also includes a Rotary Turntable with a fixture on each side, which allows for the operator to setup outside the machine while laser operations are occurring inside the machine speeding up production. Movement of the turntable is protected by safety light curtains.
- MAXI – All the features from the WS-AT but on a working area of 1170mm x 750mm.
- BASIC S, BASIC AT and BASIC AT COMPACT are all systems which we can integrate into a special purpose machine.
Laser heads can produce a spot, line, ring, or shaped optic and combined with mirrors and masks a multitude of applications can be addressed. There are also specialty laser heads such as the Globo which shines the laser light through a clear ball on an air bearing so that the head can trace a path on the workpiece and apply the required contact force (think laser ball point pen).
REDUCE REJECTS and INCREASE PROFITABILITY
Leister have now successfully extended the process to bond metal to plastic, using the metal as the absorber. This is obviously deal for automotive applications and was developed as part of the EU Horizon 2020 project and joined TP-FRPC (thermoplastic fiber reinforced polymer composites) with metal as part of a low weight low carbon roof for cars.